The Marucci CAT 6 BBCOR -3 is the company’s new release for the 2016 season. It has been released as an upgrade to the 2015 version of the Marucci CAT 5 squared. The bat comes with some pretty neat features and knick-knacks. Its performance has seen a drastic enhancement and Marucci has really outdone themselves with the CAT 6. Noteworthy is the patented anti-vibration knob that Marucci has installed at the tip of the bat’s handle. This knob is so effective; it makes even the slightest mishit feel like no hit at all. Analyzing the bat’s features, we take a deeper look into the Marucci CAT 6, the bat which has been causing quite a stir in the baseball world.
The Marucci CAT 6 is a BBCOR certified baseball bat. It is suitable for use in high school and college leagues all over the country.
One of the biggest strong points of the Marucci CAT 6 is the large barrel. The barrel size of the CAT 6 is 2 5/8”. The barrel has been increased in size and depth from the 2015’s CAT 5 squared. This enlarged barrel gives the bat a bigger sweet spot and more pop as well. This makes the bat an excellent choice for semi-pro players looking to hone in on their hitting skills.
The CAT 6 is a full one-piece bat, made of AZ3000 aluminum alloy. This construction of the bat gives it integrity in shape and design and makes the optimum use of the extended barrel. The alloy body coupled with the enlarged barrel size gives the CAT 6 a greater plate coverage, with an almost non-existent chance of getting a poor hit.
The main talking point about the Marucci CAT 6 BBCOR -3 is the Marucci patented anti-vibration knob attached to the handle tip of the bat. This knob is exclusive to the Marucci CAT series and has been revamped for the CAT 6. Vibrations are now no more. Even shocks from inaccurate hits are prevented from reaching the player’s grip. The knob allows fine-tuning and adjustments to be made during swinging, without the fear of any impact vibrations.
The body of the CAT 6 is designed with a ring-free barrel technology. This design makes the bat look aesthetically appealing. It gives the bat a simplistic look, while also making the bat sturdier. The ring free barrel construction also gives the bat an increased chance of getting a pop. The drawbacks here are that the player receives the sting from mishits, and the barrel is unable to utilize the swing momentum as a one-piece bat efficiently.
The barrel of the Marucci CAT 6 is professionally engineered to be of adequate thickness at the tip. This gives the bigger sweet spot as mentioned before, but the controlled thickness also makes for a faster swing. Even light players will be able to swing the CAT 6 fast with relative ease, despite the bat’s large barrel size. Another similar aluminum alloy bat is the Louisville Slugger YBAR152, constructed of 7050 alloy. This bat is a good competitor against the Marucci 6 and worth taking a look at.
Feature Benefits of Marucci CAT 6 BBCOR -3
- Large barrel gives bigger sweet spot and more pop
- AZ3000 aluminum alloy makes bat light and durable
- Patented anti-vibration cap absorbs all sorts of impact shocks down to zero
- Ring-free barrel makes bat sturdy and increases the sweet spot size
- Engineered design and thick barrel-end enables bat to be swung fast
Pros & Cons
- Large sweet spot and perfect for home runs
- Lightweight and easy to swing, even for lighter players
- No vibrations reach the player from both accurate and inaccurate hits
- Bat is durable and suitable for cage practice
- Bat doesn’t have the latest technology and is unsuitable for pros
- Bat is not strong enough for power-hitting
- Head whip causes imbalance when swinging as balance isn’t fine-tuned
- Bat unable to utilize energy efficiently from swing into barrel
- Barrel and player receives stings from mishits
- Bat has poor grip
When using the Marucci CAT 6 BBCOR -3 in a batting cage for practice, it is best to use a bat sleeve over the bat to increase the longevity of the bat and prevent barrel damage. Use orthodox leather balls only.
1. Does the bat come with a warranty?
A. Yes. The bat comes with a one-year warranty
2. What is the drop of the bat?
A. The bat has a -3 drop and a 33” barrel
3. Is the bat composite or alloy?
A. The bat is made from AZ3000 aerospace aluminum alloy
4. Does the bat require to be broken in?
A. No. The bat does not require to be broken in
The Marucci CAT 6 BBCOR -3 is a good bat, in terms of value for money. It is an excellent choice for semi-pros looking to take their game to the next level. The bat provides a great durability for practice in cages and can help to pinpoint a player’s swing.